Southwest Airlines will add five daily non-stop routes to its schedule. Of those, three will be daily service while two feature weekend-only service. The low-cost carrier also said it will beef up its presence in Phoenix by adding more flights to existing destinations.
Two of Southwest’s new routes will come from its base at Houston Hobby, where daily non-stop service to Columbus, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky., will begin Oct. 3.
Additionally, Southwest will add daily non-stop service between Denver and Memphis. That route also begins Oct. 3. Southwest will offer one round-trip flight each weekday on all three routes.
TODAY IN THE SKY: Southwest is third airline to expand to Everett’s Paine Field near Seattle
Two other routes – Oklahoma City-Nashville and Denver-El Paso – will get Sunday-only non-stop service.
Southwest also is turning to Phoenix for growth. The carrier did not announce new non-stop routes, but said it will add one additional weekday flight to its existing schedules on five of its “most-popular” routes there. Once the additions begin on Oct. 3, Southwest’s Phoenix schedule will change on the following routes:
LOCAL REPORT: Southwest Airlines adding Phoenix flights this fall
TODAY IN THE SKY: Southwest ups fee for last-minute priority boarding
IN PICTURES: 30 cool aviation photos (story continues below)
– Austin: Increases to 5 weekday round-trips, up from 4
– Denver: Increases to 11 weekday round-trips, up from 10
– New Orleans: Increases to 2 weekday round-trips, up from 1
– San Antonio: Increases to 4 weekday round-trips, up from 3
– San Jose, Calif.: Increases to 7 weekday round-trips, up from 6
TODAY IN THE SKY: Southwest Airlines reveals five new routes as it extends schedule into fall
In addition to the new routes and expanded service in Phoenix, Southwest also revealed the return of several seasonal routes to its fall and winter schedule. Among those are:
– Albany-Las Vegas: Resumes Oct. 3; flights operates Sunday through Friday.
– Cleveland-Orlando: Resumes Oct. 6; Saturdays only.
– Milwaukee-Fort Myers, Fla.: Resumes Oct. 6; Saturdays only.
– Oakland-Tucson: Resumes Oct. 7; Sundays only.
TODAY IN THE SKY: Trip report and photo tour: Inside EVA’s Hello Kitty plane (story continues below)
Southwest used its schedule update to promote previously-announced service that begins this week. Among those options are:
– Fort Lauderdale-Aruba: Daily service begins Thursday (March 8).
– Milwaukee-Houston Hobby: Daily service begins Thursday (March 8).
LOCAL REPORT: Southwest to launch non-stop flights from Milwaukee to Houston Thursday
– San Jose-Calif.-Los Cabos, Mexico: Saturday-only service begins Saturday (March 10).
– Sacramento-Los Cabos, Mexico: Saturday-only service begins Saturday (March 10).
– Indianapolis-Cancun: Saturday-only service (seasonal) begins Saturday (March 10).
TODAY IN THE SKY: Southwest Airlines raises in-flight drink prices
– Tampa-Detroit: Saturday-only service (seasonal) begins Saturday (March 10).
– Tampa-Omaha: Saturday-only service (seasonal) begins Saturday (March 10).
– San Diego-Puerto Vallarta, Mexico: Daily service begins (seasonal) begins Saturday (March 10).
– Sacramento-New Orleans: Sunday-only service (seasonal) begins Sunday (March 11).
– San Diego-El Paso: Sunday-only service (seasonal) begins Sunday (March 11).
TODAY IN THE SKY: Happy birthday, 737! Boeing’s workhorse turns 50
TODAY IN THE SKY: Delta Air Lines sends its last Boeing 747 to Arizona ‘boneyard’
TODAY IN THE SKY: Watch: Delta’s last Boeing 747 makes low pass over Arizona ‘boneyard’
A Delta 747 makes a low pass over an airline “boneyard” in Arizona where it will be retired.